CBT Courses for 125cc & Moped

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) - Location: Salhouse Road, Norwich

If you're looking to ride either a moped or a motorcycle in the UK, you will be required to complete your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before venturing out on the roads alone. In order to fulfil the CBT training successfully, the training must be carried by an Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI) /CBT Trainer, which we are proud to offer here at CJ Ball. Just check out our training and pricing options below.

Three options are available for CBT Training*

  1. Moped CBT automatic 50cc (for 16-year-olds)
  2. Auto 125 – for those aged 17+ wanting to ride an automatic machine
  3. Geared 125 for those aged 17+ wanting to ride a manual motorcycle

*Please note: if you have never ridden a motorcycle, we ask that you complete a Taster Session prior to taking the CBT.

(If you already have a CBT certificate on an auto, you can upgrade to a geared bike for £35.00 per taster session).


Weekdays - £119.00  including bike and clothing hire
Saturdays - £139.00 including bike and clothing hire

Where: Start and finish at our Salhouse Road premise in Norwich, Norfolk.

Times: All courses start at 8.30am and normally finish at around 3.30pm

What to bring on the day

The most important thing to remember is your UK driving licence & national insurance number. Without this, you cannot complete the course and will not be issued with a certificate. If you have a European licence, you will need to exchange this for a UK licence to take the CBT. If you have any of your own kit you are welcome to bring it, but it must meet the necessary standards and be in good repair.

Here are a few useful things you need to know about the CBT Certificate:

  • It is valid for 2 years.
  • It entitles you to ride on the road unaccompanied while displaying L Plates.
  • Your CBT certificate does not allow you to carry pillion passengers or ride on motorways.
  • You will need to re-take the CBT if you do not pass both the theory and practical tests before the CBT Certificate expires.
  • A full car licence gives you provisional motorcycle entitlement although you must check that this is visible on your licence. You need to ensure that it shows Category A provisional motorcycle entitlement on your licence.